In 2004, the FAA created sport pilot/light-sport aircraft (SP/LSA) regulations. The most significant change in FAA regulations in 50 years, it allows easier and lower-cost access for those wishing to participate in the joy of flight. For the past half century, EAA has been a leader in providing people with more opportunities to take to the sky, and for the past 10 years has worked with the FAA on the development of SP/LSA. Because of EAA’s efforts, flying has become less expensive and easier than ever before. You can become a sport pilot with as little as 20 hours of flight instruction. You can fly a one- or two-seat aircraft capable of speeds up to 138 mph. And in most cases, you can pass the medical requirements just by showing your driver’s license. That’s not all…. Now You Can:
- Obtain an FAA pilot certificate at a lower cost and with less time commitment than ever before.
- Fly a sport pilot-eligible aircraft with your driver’s license serving as evidence of medical eligibility.
- Purchase new, more affordable, ready-to-fly aircraft.
- Build an approved light-sport aircraft kit that’s as much as 99% complete from the factory.
- Make your dreams of flying come true more easily and less expensively.
- Fly interesting alternative aircraft such as powered parachutes, weight shiftcontrolled (trikes), gliders, gyroplanes, or balloons.
- Maintain your own aircraft.
Whether you're completely new to aviation or have flown aircraft before, Sport Pilot is the new way to fly that is easier, more affordable, safe, and loads of FUN! Sport Pilot enables enthusiasts to learn to fly and gain access to aircraft in half the time and for half the cost of previous alternatives. So, climb aboard, take the controls, and launch new adventures in recreational aviation today!